Nike Unveils Manchester United Home Kit for 2013-14
Next season, FA Premier League Champions Manchester United will play in a new home kit inspired by elements of the club’s successful history and the city’s industrial heritage.
The United home shirt features the return of the black collar, worn upturned with such brilliance by Eric Cantona during the club’s champion run of the 1990s.
Underneath the collar is a subtle tonal grey-and black-gingham check, first used on last season’s home shirt. The check represents Manchester’s industrial past, referencing the city’s cotton mills of the 18th century, which once produced the classic check fabric.
The tailored collar, with three buttons at the front and one at the back, represents the city’s sense of style. Two side vents at the hem of the shirt feature the same tonal black-and-grey gingham check that is found under the collar.
The new home shorts are white with a thin black stripe on the hem of the back. The home socks are black with a white stripe bound by two red stripes, and the traditional United bar scarf design appears on the back of the sock.
The kit showcases Nike’s belief in style, craft and pride while aiding the performance of players with key technological features.
- The kit is made from recycled polyester as part of Nike’s commitment to produce performance apparel with reduced environmental impact. The shirt and shorts of each kit are made from up to thirteen recycled plastic water bottles.
- In the pioneering process, plastic bottles are chopped into flakes, then melted down to form yarn that is spun into fabric, reducing energy consumption by up to 30 percent compared to manufacturing virgin polyester.
- Since 2010, Nike has diverted more than 1.1 billion plastic bottles from landfill through the use of recycled polyester.
FABRIC AND NIKE DRI-FIT
- The kit weighs just 150 grams, 23 percent lighter than previous Nike kits. It also boasts a 20 percent stronger knit structure and significantly improved stretch.
- The fabric uses Nike Dri-FIT technology to draw sweat away from the body through the fabric where it can evaporate, to keep players cool and dry.
- Ventilation zones, consisting of tiny laser-cut holes, feature under the arms on both sides, as well as at the shorts waistband, to allow additional comfort and cooling. A mesh panel across the entire back increases air circulation.
FIT AND CONSTRUCTION
- The shirt has been crafted with bonded T-bars to support the seams at key points and inner welded seams with a clean finish to give a more striking appearance, while also increasing comfort and performance.
NIKE PRO COMBAT
- To complete the ultimate playing uniform for modern football, Nike Pro Combat baselayer is supplied to be worn underneath the match-day kit, offering players greater comfort and impact protection.
- The Nike Pro Combat range of long-sleeve and short-sleeve tops made of sweat-wicking fabric allows players to keep cool and dry in hot conditions, and warm and dry when the weather becomes cold. The slider shorts feature extra padding and thigh protection to absorb impact so players can go to ground and tackle with greater confidence.
- Introducing Hypervenom 3
- Spark Brilliance with Nike’s Newest Pack
- Adidas Launch Manchester United Away Kit 2016-17
- Nike Mercurial Superfly Heritage iD
- St. George’s Park Welcomes Nike’s Newest Young Hopefuls
- Nike Football Liquid Chrome Pack
- Tiempo Legend 6
- CR7 Chapter 1: Savage Beauty
- Nike Honors Cristiano Ronaldo With Two New Boots!
- Nike FootballX Colour Refresh